Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Three Things

I have three ideas in my head.

1) The afterlife in comic books. Wikipedia has extensive entries on almost every aspect of comic book universes, especially DC and Marvel comics. Wikipedia does not mention the format of the afterlife in comic books, despite the fact that heaven, hell, the devil, gods, God, angels, demons and ressurections are quite common. I believe the Justice League of America once went to Heaven to stop a war, and an actual Angel joined their ranks for some time. The Fantastic Four had to save their son Franklin from Hell, and traveled to heaven to get the soul of The Thing back from God. Now, I have noticed one thing in all these afterlife stories, and it is that Heaven and Hell are populated almost solely by superheroes and super villians. Rarely are normal humans seen.

I was thinking about this- the set up of these universes renders normal humans irrelevant, and the world and afterlife exist for characters which wear funny costumes and posses attributes that normal humans supposedly do not. I think this is how most people I associate with at Hampshire College and in Providence, view themselves, part of an elite pantheon with deep and meaningful characterization. Everyone is human though. A mere mortal.

2) A mouse evidently got into my beans. We have a problem. What can we do that is not too cruel? Any ideas? Both sticky traps and spring loaded traps are not certain to kill mice. What is a "have a heart" trap?


3) The cupola is not heated, so although I am warm with my electric blanket, my head is cold. So I think my sleep is not as deep as it normally would be. Because of this, NPR (which I leave on overnight) has been slinking into my dreams. This morning there was a story about a man in Iceland whom flies a plane to a Glacier to measure it every year. In my dream he asked me to accompany him, and I had to leave my DIV III show in order to do it. I was excited, but scared because we were flying in a dinky little one rotator plane. The Icelandic man flying the plane was my favorite Swedish actor Max von Sydow (The Knight in the Seventh Seal by Igmar Birgman). He was quite a guy, kind of a male Amelia Mary Earhart.

I think Amelia Earhart is amazing. I am sad she disappeared, I would have liked to see her speak, and maybe to have asked her on a date. Many things would have to be changed in reality for that to happen. I hope it does in my dreams tonight. I would take her out to get Pizza and play arcade games.


-Than

3 comments:

purplehousenorthampton said...

Two Responses:

1) Have a heart traps are like little boxes where the food is inside and when the mouse goes to get the food, it triggers the box to close. By this time, the mouse is already inside of the box, so it is alive and well and can be safely let outside.

2) I think the reason comic books are so compelling (especially to the group that your friends represent) is that people can identify with that desire to be above the banality of normal life. I don't think it's a bad thing, at least not generally. I think that pretention and snobbery are unfortunate but not necessary side effects of a desire to transcend the basic and often unsatisfactory conditions of everyday life. Thus, if superheroes/villians represent those people that seek to be more than their surroundings (either selfishly or for the greater good), it would make perfect sense that heaven and hell, in such a heavily metaphoric space as comic books, are populated mostly by such figures. Those that do not seek to transcend their situations wind up in purgatory. At least maybe.

Tara said...

They're actually Havahart traps (I'm not kidding). They come in tiny versions for mice all the way up to large sizes for raccoon-sized furry animals. If you catch a mouse in one of these traps, you have to make sure to bring it very far away from the house (like, a mile or more), or else it will find its way back.

Also, peanut butter works great for the inside of a trap. It is tasty and has a strong smell.

Farm in a Cart said...

Whoever left that last response said what i was trying to say even better than i.