Tuesday, December 25, 2007

books and crooks

Dear House and Assorted Friends of the House,

I have noticed a lack of posting. This is partly my own fault, but I think we need to begin a vigorous increase in posting.

So, some topics recently on my mind:

1) Ron Paul hits double digits in Iowa. The Revolution?? Or something... Why can't the left have any momentum?

2) Philip Seymour Hoffman. I saw 'Charlie Wilson's War' and 'The Savages' and enjoyed both and was totally floored by PSH's performance. Laura Linney held her own in the Savages, which was just a very well made movie throughout (except a few I thought tacky visuals early, but there's no need to be petty). However, our man completely dominated (in a good way) CWW, even though the movie featured a supposedly all-star cast. I think this review from the Charlotte Observer pretty well sums things up:

"Hanks... and Roberts seem "actorish," putting on accents and mannerisms, but they're entertaining. Hoffman is something more, a scenery-devouring force of nature irresistible as a cyclone and irreverent as a stand-up comedian at a midnight show."

Yeah, he's that good.

3) The Bengals beat the Browns on Sunday, so the Steelers are now officially the AFC North Division Champions. However, league-leading rb Willy Parker was injured and is out for the season, so I have serious doubts about our potential to advance very far in the playoffs. Oh well, at least Hines Ward has now set every major Steelers receiving record.

4) As some of you know, I recently completed a writing project which I've been calling my crossword-book-thing. I need to think of a better name because it just got picked up for publication by little publisher called No Record Press. Anyways, I'm not sure the details of the release yet, but it's kind of a big deal for me.

Also, is anyone at our house right now? Actually, don't answer that. A lot of burglars read this and I don't want to tip them off.

See you all soon??

-Ben

1 comment:

Farm in a Cart said...

Ben:

You feel the same way about Mr Hoffman as I do about Jimmy Stewart.
We should go every other film for each of them.

And, that is great news about your book. I am really excited to read it and by a copy. You are padding the soon to be purple house archives.

See you soon.